Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week 12 Storytelling: The Battle

The Battle

I was nestled up in the forest under a large oak tree. I awoke to some birds chirping and looked around. For the life of me I could not remember if I was still in a dream. I felt that it was maybe my dream but maybe someone else’s! I looked around and saw nothing that seemed familiar, until all of a sudden I heard loud galloping. I saw the evil Red Knight named Luther coming towards me and I began to feel nervous.

‘You belong to me now!’ the Red Knight Luther said to me.

I did not know what to do, but I did observe him to be very clumsy. It seemed that he kept falling off his horse and this was all I could notice. He was explaining to me how I was going to be his prisoner now but more galloping shortly interrupted it.

‘I have come to rescue you!’ the White Knight Arnold shouted.

‘She is mine and you can only have her if you win a battle!’ responded the Red Knight Luther.

Source: Flickr

I was so overwhelmed and did not know what to make of this situation. I backed up and hid behind some sort of tree to try and protect myself. The battle commenced and I began to observe. 

I noticed that there were several rules that were part of this particular battle. One of the rules seemed to be that if one of the knight’s gets hit he will fall off his horse, but if that knight instead misses then he will tumble off of his own horse. Another rule I took note of was that when they fell off their horses they always fell on their heads. This was so peculiar to me.

Finally they both ended up falling off their horses at the same time on to their heads so the battle was over. They shook hands and the Red Knight decided to give Alice to the White Knight. He ventured away and the White Knight was feeling very victorious.

‘I want to be queen.’ Alice explained.


Authors Note: For this story I decided to retell the story of In My Own Invention.  I really liked this story because it was still including Alice and it was about a section I had never heard before. I kept the story pretty much exact to the original with just a few minor changes. I decided to tell the story from Alice’s point of view since she was the main character. I also decided to give the two knights names because they had no real identity without them!

Bibliography: Through the Looking-Glass. Lewis Carroll (1871) My Own Invention.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your retelling of the story. I've never read Through the Looking-Glass but I liked that you changed the point of view character to Alice. The story was very well written. The beginning where Alice was trying to decide if she was dreaming or not set a great tone for the rest of the story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your version of the story. I thought it was humorous to picture the knights falling off of their horses. I liked that you gave the two men colors and names, it seemed helpful. It was interesting to see two men fighting over ownership of a random woman, but it makes more sense for it to be from the 1800s. I really enjoyed your story, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete