Friday, November 21, 2014

Essay Week 14: Symbols

Symbols

This week I read stories from the unit ‘Czech Folktales.’ Because it was a very busy week I was unfortunately only able to do the first half of the reading. The first half that I did read however was very informative and I feel that I got a pretty good sense of the overall unit through it! I feel that it is so important to read stories from other cultures in order to broaden our knowledge. I also feel that you can gain a better understanding of the world around you and the history that is present. I feel that if we stop reading about each others history and culture that we will become even more different as a world society.

Source: Flickr

 One of the stories that I read this week was titled The Bear, the Eagle and the Fish. In this story there is a count and a countess that live in the forest with their three daughters. The count has gambled away the family fortune so he heads out in to the forest to hunt for something for his family to eat. He runs in to a bear and is lost so the bear tells him he will help him out if he gives him his daughter. The count agrees and she is gone. Then the following day he does the same thing again but runs in an eagle. The eagle demands his second daughter, he agrees. Then again he runs in to a fish and promises his third daughter. The countess grows lonely so they have a son and he sets out to find his sisters. He ends up finding them and they break a curse and the husbands turn back in to princes. Then they are all able to live happily ever after! I found this story to be very interesting and so I decided to look up what each animal represented.


The figure of a bear usually represents, grounding forces and strength. I then found that the eagle represents spiritual protection. Finally the fish represents fertility and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment