Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week 12 Essay: The Two Knights'

The Two Knights'

This week I chose the unit Through the Looking Glass. I had a really busy week so unfortunately I was only able to read the second half of the reading but I found it to be very interesting! This unit was particularly interesting to me because it was about a lot of the children stories we hear about growing up. I think it is fun when we get to read a unit that is about things that are already familiar to us because we stay much more interested in the information.

Source: Flickr

One of the stories that I read that were interesting was titled My Own Invention. This story actually ended up taking up four short stories so it was rather long. The first section was the one that I found to be the most interesting though! It was all about how Alice had just woken up from her slumber and was wondering if she was still in a dream or not. She was very confused and did not know what to do. Two separate knights who were both claiming that she belonged to them then approached her. They fought over her in a battle and then the Red Knight gave up and she was now the White Knights. In this story the two knights’ are differently colored. One is red and the other is white. I found this to be interesting as red is usually associate with evil and white is more associated with good and hero. That is exactly what happened in this story, the white knight prevailed and saved Alice from the possession of the red knight.


I reason I found this story interesting was because this was a part of the Alice in Wonderland story that I either had forgotten or had not heard before. It was unfamiliar to me but the main character was recognizable to me. This made for reading this story enjoyable because I knew parts of the story but there were still elements that were new and foreign to me. Overall this week I really enjoyed the reading and think that it was a great unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment