Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Week 6 Storytelling: Lessons Learned

Once upon a time there was monkey and a crocodile, they lived near the same river but they did not get along at all. The monkey was young and wild, while the crocodile was old and wise. The monkey loved to tease him and disrupt the silence by swinging through the trees and singing at the top of his lungs. Now the old crocodile thought this was rather foolish of the monkey, so he thought he would try to teach him a lesson.

So the next day the monkey began his day as he did any other, he woke up and started to swing through the trees. He also found it his duty to wake everyone else up in jungle. He was singing and singing and then all of a sudden the old wise crocodile woke up.

He crawled about on the group searching for what tree the monkey was currently in, he found him and began calling out for the monkey’s attention. He called for the monkey and asked him to come down from the tree, the monkey laughed and kept on swinging through the trees. This angered the crocodile because he felt that he had given the monkey a chance to learn a lesson the nice way but now he knew there was only one option left.

Source: Wikipedia
(The crocodile waiting to locate the monkey)

The next night the crocodile was waiting for the monkey to fall asleep and when he finally did the crocodile swung his strong tail and hit the tree and the monkey came tumbling down. The monkey awoke in surprise and fear and then the crocodile ate him at once. The crocodile felt that this was the only way that the lesson could be taught.

From that night on all of the animals in the jungle knew it was best for them to listen to the words of wisdom of the old wise crocodile.

Authors note: I am retelling the story of The Monkey and the Crocodile. In the original story there was a monkey that needed to cross over to the other side of the river and so he asked the crocodile if he could take a ride on his back, the crocodile agreed. The monkey told him that if he took him across the river that he would lead him to all of the monkeys that he could ever dream of to eat. Once he was across the monkey jumped off his back and climbed straight in to a tree and laughed at him. I decided to keep some of the characters the same but I also decided to change the plot a little bit to put my own spin on it.


Bibliography: Filipino Popular Tales by Dean Fansler (1921).

5 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I think you did a great job at retelling this story and really making it your own. It really is different from the original story. You are a great writer and I really enjoyed the simplicity of your writing and story as a whole. I think the monkey was a very mischievous creature in your story and I am glad the crocodile felt that a lesson should be taught. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read the original but I think I have a decent understanding of it from your author's note. I like the changes you made. You turned it into a kind of concise fable. It makes me think of Aesop's fables! The first three paragraphs were a little difficult for me to follow for some reason. Maybe I'm just sleepy, but I feel like all of that could have been smooshed together and made shorter. But I think you did very well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I really liked the way you told this story! I think that the crocodile may have been a little harsh on the monkey, but the lesson was effective. Not only effective for the monkey, but also all of the other animals that saw what happened. I really enjoyed reading this story! It held my attention and you made it very interesting to read! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, you did a great job on this story! I didn't read the original story, but it does seem very different from the original. However, I thought you did a good job in keeping the themes in your retelling of the story--the crocodile may have taken extreme measures, but it was good to teach the monkey his lesson. Even though the ending escalated suddenly, I thought you did a great job keeping the tone lighthearted throughout the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,
    Wow! That crocodile teaches his lessons in a harsh manner. However, he did try to be reasonable with the monkey at first and talk with him, but the monkey refused. I agree that this left him no choice other than to eat the monkey and end the nuisance once and for all. You did a nice job of changing the plot of the story!

    ReplyDelete