Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 5: Styles

Styles that interest me for my Portfolio project:
Telling the story as a villain. This is one of the topics that I thought could be interesting for the original storybook idea. I think that this is an interesting style to use to retell a story mainly because it gives the reader a very interesting perspective to hear and visualize it from. The villain can be very one sided and make it seem that they have done nothing wrong, so I feel this could be an interesting approach to take!
            One story I read that was titled Alexander the Great, Reborn! used the style of “futuristic” to tell the story. I think the main thing that draws me to this style is that most of the stories we are reading in the Un-Textbook are very old and told in very old grammar and language. I think it could be really fun to retell these stories and put somewhat of a futuristic spin on them to help modernize them. I also think it could be a style that has an advantage because if the stories are being told in a manner that “we” now days can really follow we are more likely to be engaged and want to know more!
            The story The Towers That Be took a very interesting approach on choosing a style; the story was told through inanimate objects. I think that this style choice is very interesting because it allows for something that is not necessarily apart of the story to be the one telling it, so like an outsider. With that kind of a style I think the storyteller will be much less bias because they are not directly involved in the story. I think this would be an interesting style to try out and play around with!
            In the story Delilah's Radio Hour, the author took on the approach of telling the story through an interview approach. I think that this can be a very useful approach to telling a story because it involves at least two characters heavily and really allows for direct questions and information to be asked and obtained allowing for clarity. I also think the radio interview approach is more modern and so it can put a fun new spin on a story that may be a bit older and dry. It is so important to find a style that will really catch your reader and draw them in. I think this approach could really do just that, so it is one that I will definitely be considering when I edit my portfolio stories each week!
            One story that really caught my eye was Rate my Rishi, this story used the style of telling it though a social media aspect. I think this approach is interesting because social media is something that is so prevalent and popular in the society that we live in today so it will always attract people. I also think the “rate my professor” spin off idea was great because that is something that we all use in this day and age to figure out who we what as our teachers before we enroll each semester.
            The final style idea that I really thought was interesting was seen in the story; Legendary Heroines: The Diary Accounts of Four Courageous Women. This story used the style of writing in a diary, the thing that drew me to this style is that it allows for multiple people to do entries in one area and also allows for entries to be done at various times. I think allowing for different times can definitely be a strong suit for a story because it can show progression of the story.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment