Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 4 Storytelling: The Journey for Luck

Once upon a time there was a man by the name of Martin, he had what everyone else in the town wanted; pure luck. Everything in his life always seemed to flow so perfectly and then at once it was all gone. His luck seemed to have vanished away in to the night, and be no more. Now Martin knew that there was a place far far away that his elders had told him about where people could reclaim their luck, but the travels there were long and traitorous, only the chosen would survive the journey.

He awoke at dawn of the next morning and began his journey, he had packed all he needed and felt that he was prepared for the road that was ahead of him. The first obstacle he faced was a monstrous maze that seemed to have no end; only few had ever made it out. For Martin though this maze seemed to pose very little threat as he finished the maze in a matter of only a few hours. Next he had to cross a rushing river without getting swept away by the force of the current. Again he seemed to prevail in the obstacle as he built a bridge out of wood to safely cross over the river. Days went by and he continued to succeed in this challenges he was presented with.

Image Source: Maze

 The final test came, he had to search for the tiny ruby that was lost in a sand pit, and this challenge seemed to almost stump Martin. He spent day after day constantly picking through all the tiny grains of sand. He almost gave up when suddenly he found it! He joyfully rushed the gem to the cave where there were several mentors eagerly awaiting his arrival. They saw that he was able to overcome all these obstacles without his luck so they felt that he was deserving enough to have his luck back. He received his luck and went on his way back to his home to spread the gift.

The end.

Authors Note: I am retelling the story of The Man who Went to Wake his Luck. In this original story a man is on a journey to wake his luck and along the way the man is approached by many to have his ask the luck why they have been cursed lately. He locates the luck and asks all the questions, then reports the answers to the others. At the very end he ends up getting eaten by a wolf. I decided to change most of the story and only keep the idea of luck the same!


Bibliography: Persian Tales, translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer, illustrated by Hilda Roberts (1919).

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting story! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it, I liked the way you explained what obstacles he had to go through in order to get his luck back! I would have liked to know exactly why it vanished in the first place, but maybe it was just that he needed to prove he deserved his luck? Either way, I enjoyed the story and thought you wrote it very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all love your choice of title. It is very attractive in drawing readers in. I really enjoyed how you completely made the story your own but kept a small aspect of the original story to give your story a plot. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story. I think it’s awesome how he had to gain his luck back. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your storytelling for this week! I don't really know what the original story was about but I liked your version. Honestly, I feel like Martin must have still had a little bit of luck in him since he got through all of those challenges. As SJ said I would really like to know why it vanished and also I am interested to see how he got his luck in the first place. Was he born with it? Did he just stumble upon it? Overall you did very well and I look forward to future stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you changed the ending of this story. It is a much happier ending when someone does not get eaten by a wolf. One of the other stories I read this week ended with a man being torn to pieces by a wolf, so this story was a little less depressing! Haha great job of taking the theme of the original story and turning into your own creative storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this story too! Yours is definitely very different, but I really liked it! I like that you kept "luck" as the central theme and made your story revolve around that. I'm glad your character was rewarded unlike the man in the original story. It's definitely much more lighthearted than the original haha. Overall, I think you did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete