Monday, September 15, 2014

Reading Diary Week 5: Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories

Below I have presented my favorite stories from Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories.

The first story that really caught my eye was The Sun's Journey. The main reason that this story caught my eye is because of how it was written. I found it to be very interesting in the sense of wording. It was a very hard read for me; the old language and placement of words proved to be difficult for me to understand and grasp fully. From what I read I think that the just of the story was trying to explain how there was an underworld and many soles and reptiles were cast there, there was also a journey through that underworld that one could take. When the sun arose from the darkness each day the souls of the underworld rejoiced.

Another story that was interesting to read was The Wax Crocodile. I thought just by the title that this story would be interesting. This story was still a bit hard for me to read but it was much easier than some of the others in this section. This story was about a king that molded a small crocodile out of wax and then had it cast a spell on a youth that was bathing in a pond. The small wax crocodile grew in to an enormous crocodile and took the youth away. The crocodile was to only return upon request of the king; he never let the youth go and was eventually shrunk back in to a small wax figurine.

A third story that was an interesting read to me was The Green Jewel. This story caught my eye initially because it was about a stone so I was intrigued. This story was also an easier read than some of the other stories that were presented in this unit. This story is about a group of women rowing boat for a King until the lead rower drops her green stone in the water, the scribe parts the water and the jewel is retrieved. The king says how much he has enjoyed this outing and how impressed he is by the scribe.

Another story that I found to be an interesting read was The Book of Thoth. This story was again one of the few that were a bit harder for me to read. I think that because of the way this story was worded it didn’t make total sense to me but I tried hard to understand it in its entirety. This story was only part one, but it talked about a boy who was reading foolish messages on the church walls when the Priest decided to send him on a mission to find The Book of Thoth, he has a girl accompany him on the journey.


The very last story of the bunch was titled The Tale of King Rhampsinitus. This story was very interesting to read because it had so many things constantly going on that you were intrigued the whole time. Overall this story was a pretty easy read and I think the wording and phrasing was done in a way that is easy for most to understand. This story was about a man who was building somewhere for the king to store his riches and then he died but left the information to his sons, they stole treasure after treasure and eventually got caught. The brother that was not trapped killed the trapped brother so the king wouldn’t do it. They eventually got his body back and the other brother ended up marrying the kings daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment