Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Storytelling Week 5: The Ring

Once upon a time there was prince who was about to take over the kingdom as his father was very ill and didn’t have much time left. The only thing he was missing was his beautiful queen to help him rule all of the lands. . .

Days passed and his father grew sicker and sicker, all his father wanted was to know he was leaving his kingdom in good hands, so he gave a green jewel ring to his son and told him “this ring will lead you to your wife”. The son did not believe that his would work nor did he understand how it would play out but he wanted to make his father happy so he devised a plan.


 The next morning he called upon his scribe to gather ten of the most beautiful women in the land and bring them before him. The scribe did as he was told, and once they had all arrived in the palace the prince informed them that they would be going on a boat ride.

Once on the water the prince was talking and getting to know all of the women but nothing seemed special. He was holding the ring his father had given him and as he was gazing at its beauty they hit the river bank and the sudden thump knocked the ring out of the princes hand and in to the water! He had no idea what to do and couldn’t spot it anywhere. He knew how disappointed his father was going to be, but then out of nowhere one of the girls spotted it floating on a lily pad and picked it up.

The prince immediately knew that this was the sign his father had prepared him for and he ran to the girl and asked for her hand in marriage and to help him rule the kingdom. She accepted and they lived happily ever after.

The end.


Authors note: I am translating the story of The Green Jewel. I decided to get pretty creative with my storytelling this week. In the original story a price is having women row a boat for him and one of the girls loses her green jewel in the river. Then the scribe is able to part the river and she gets her ring back. I decided to keep the green jewel ring constant but overall kind of change the whole storyline. I had a lot of fun interpreting this story and changing parts to make it different!


Bibliography: Egyptian Myth and Legend Ronald Mackenzie (1907)

5 comments:

  1. Emily, I liked how you kind of used this theme of fate in your story about the jewel. Even though the prince did not know how things would work out, he trusted his father and the ring kind of helped decide his fate for him! From what I can tell from your author's note, it seems like you took a very different route from the actual story, and I think you did it very well. Your story was pretty creative from the original idea, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this retelling of the story! I read this unit and it took me a minute to realize this was the story, but after dropping the ring into the water, I drew the connection. I love how you use the ring as a symbol of "finding the one" because we typically think of finding the one and then giving them an engagement ring. Your story was a great creative adaptation of a story that I originally did not find very interesting. I think the way you rewrote the story provided more interest and depth to the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read someone else's storytelling of this exact same story, and although I liked her version, I also really like this one. You completely changed up this story, but you did a great job with it. I think I may even like this storyline better! I think it's cool that the prince was able to find his wife in an unexpected way. Such a cute ending. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked reading your story! I didn't read this unit, so it was interesting to read something different. I liked that you changed up the story but kept the green jewel ring a constant theme. I thought it was really cute that he found "the one" in such an unexpected way. Overall, I think you did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,

    I have already commented on your introduction so I decided I wanted to read another one of your stories. This one grabbed my attention because of the picture. In the last few weeks you have done animals and I wanted to see something different. That pretty ring is most definitely different. I love that this story demonstrates how you cannot really plan for love. It really happens when you least expect it in a way you wouldn't have been able to imagine.

    ReplyDelete