Monday, October 27, 2014

Storytelling Week 7: The Mighty Ones

The Mighty Ones


I, the mighty crocodile, was the ruler of the water and all surrounding marshland. There was also talk of a leopard that ruled the desert but I had never laid eyes on him. He did not threaten me nor did I pay much attention to ever finding out who he was. I went on day-by-day and continued to rule the water and marshland.

Image Source: Flickr
(The leopard waiting for his food)

Day after day I would see a man walking by my water looking very sad and confused until one day he finally approached me. “Mr. Crocodile,” he said, “if I bring you fruits and nuts each week, will you provide me with fish? I have so many wives to feed but have no way of providing." Mr. Crocodile responded, “Yes, that sounds like a wonderful option!”

I agreed to these terms because I loved fruits and nuts but I told him that he could be executing this deal only with me. It was important that he was only agreeing to the exchange with me because I did not like feeling taken advantage of. I felt only exchanging goods with me would help us build a sense of trust. So he agreed and we set a time to meet up the next day to perform the exchange. The following day came and I brought all the fish I had promised. They were in a basket dangling from my mouth. The man brought the promised fruits and nuts in a basket as well. This was looking to be beneficial for both of us. I was now able to enjoy fresh daily fruits and nuts and he could provide fresh fish for his many wives. I was in heaven and full of all the most delicious foods in the land!

Now little did I know but this very same man had been doing the exact same thing with the leopard. If I had known this information all along, then I would have put a stop to the deal immediately! I was feeling jealous because I wanted all of the fruits and nuts to myself! But this was information I would not find out until the very end.

Now back to the story:
so these exchanges continued for months. I felt that everything was fair and moving along smoothly. We were both extremely happy! As time went on, I began to grow more tired of the same old same old so I thought about what I could request now. We met up as usual and I asked for him to bring me a dog. Now I had never seen one before but I heard they were the most delicious meat in the world. I also heard from a fellow crocodile that he knew all about them. The man said he had none but knew of where one would be. He told me the location and the next day I set off to find it!

I wandered and wandered but never did find that dog he spoke of. I did find a leopard though. We examined each other from afar. Then I asked him what he was. He responded with "I'm a leopard." Then he asked me the same question, and I answered with "I'm a crocodile." At once it all began to make sense. We had been tricked and deceived. We found out that the man had been scamming us both! He agreed to each of us that he was only providing to us when in reality that was a lie! We decided to let him live but warned him to never come near our territories again. He thankfully accepted and promised to never cheat us again.


Author's Note: I am retelling the story The Leopard and the Crocodile. I decided to keep the story pretty close to the original this time around because I didn't want to add too many other details in to clutter the story. In the original the man sends the leopard and the crocodile to the same place and they each think that the other one is the mysterious dog. They end up fighting each other to the death and the man and whole town are there to watch. I elected to change the final outcome of the story. I decided to change it to the two animals not killing each other and instead befriending each other and casting the man out. I decided to change the ending because I felt that the original was very dark and twisted so I wanted to make the ending more pleasant. Another thing I changed was who was telling the story. I thought that telling it from the crocodile’s point of view could be beneficial! I mostly just told the direct story of the crocodile with not as much focus on the leopard. I found it to be important to get the right messages across from the crocodile’s point of view and I’m hoping this was done successfully!


Bibliography: Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort by Richard Edward Dennett (1898).  The Leopard and the Crocodile.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Emily,

    I think you did a great job in this week's storytelling. So is the character that is telling the story a man? I have not read the Congo unit but it sounds pretty nice. I did not think I would be that into the animal stories, but I read the Laos unit and it was really interesting. Is the crocodile a trickster character in the Congo stories? Really good job this week though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I really enjoyed your story, and thought it was quite interesting. I do think that it is quite odd that a man would think to strike a deal with both a crocodile and a leopard, but I am guessing that your reading unit had to do with folk tales from a certain area. When I’m not trying to overanalyze why/how humans are communicating with animals, I have a problem with doing that, I really like how you changed the story some and excluded the death component. I really like how your story was sort of short and sweet, but provided me with plenty of information to where I was not asking myself what was going to happen next when it ended. You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I really liked your rendition of the story! The first person narration definitely adds a lot of detail to the crocodile's side, and I really like getting that insight into his mind. I also liked that you got rid of the gruesome details from the original and made this one much more peaceful--it definitely made it easier to read knowing that there wasn't as much violence in this version! Finally, great job inserting some hindsight into your story; it really gave the reader the idea that the crocodile was telling of a past experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    I chose to read your portfolio this week for my free choice! I liked this story because it was real short and to the point! There was not any messing around or anything which is nice. I think it was a good choice to have one of the main characters telling the story from their point of view. Very few people have done that so far, and I think it really gives a nice change compared to the usual. I for sure thought the man was going to get eaten by either the crocodile or the leopard in the end because he was tricking them! I was surprised that such vicious animals would let him go free, but they did threaten him! Good job with your portfolio! I am doing the portfolio too! Good luck on the rest of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Emily! This is the first time that I have seen your portfolio. I have not looked to see what all the portfolio is to include. So I will not be able to comment on if you are missing something but I am sure that you are doing fine. I read your “The Mighty One’s” story and really enjoyed the story. Your picture of the leopard is great but the picture is a little small. Maybe, you can make it a little bigger. The crocodile is quite greedy in your story. Since, he wants all the fruit and nuts to himself. I like the way you wrote this story with the changed ending. I like the happier ending to the story. I think the original ending would have been kind of depressing based off of your author’s note. Your author’s note helped a lot with understanding where the story came from. I did not read this original story so I had no idea what the original was about. Your author’s note cleared that up. I thought this was a great story and written nicely. I did not have any problems reading the story. The story was very interesting. I did like how you had the foreshadowing of the crocodile meeting the leopard. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, I did not read this story in my unit so I was interested to read it. Your Author's note was good in describing how you changed the story from the original. I have just a few editing suggestions that might help the story flow more easily. The dialogue when the characters are speaking should be their own paragraphs. So each time a new person speaks you need a new paragraph. It helps the reader to see the switch in who is speaking. Also, some sentences need to have commas when they are combined sentences. Or you could mix them up and split some of the longer sentences in two. One of the other things I noticed, was that when you have clauses at the beginning of the sentence you often do not have a comma to separate it from the rest of the sentence, These are just small editing suggestions that can easily be fixed and help your story to flow a little better. I like how you included the thoughts of the crocodile as he thought he was being cheated, and then you switched back to the story. Maybe putting his thoughts in italics or putting it in quotes as him speaking to himself would help set it apart. Great job in adapting the story, and I like how you made it less evil by having them not kill each other and befriending each other instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Emily! What a great story. I really enjoyed reading how you retold your story. It was fun and entertaining to read. I really liked how you kept the original story and plot and just changed the ending. I liked how you used to the detail and description to really give an idea into what the crocodile was thinking. One thing I would suggest is separate when you use them. It makes the dialogue more clear and easier to read. I liked that you changed the ending, I hate how sometimes the endings of stories are so violent and bloody. Other than that, maybe the photo could be bigger? It's a little small for the paragraph size. Overall, I think your portfolio is great! I like your writing style and the stories you retell. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete