Thursday, October 16, 2014

Essay Week 9: The Raven

The Raven

This week I read the story Alaskan Legends. I really enjoyed the stories because they were so different from anything I’ve ever read before. I think it is really beneficial to read stories from other cultures because they advance your knowledge. I also think that it is beneficial because when we read other cultures history and learn about their culture we become more tolerant and accepting to others.

One of the most interesting stories that I read this week was Raven's Creation. This story was about how a raven was the only being in the land and then a man was born of the pea pod he created. The raven observed the man for some time and then he came down and spoke with him. He showed him that he could also transform in to a human being. Once he was a human being he showed the man that he could create things from clay from the river. He grasped it in his hands and created several forms of deer and also mountain goats. Then finally he showed all of these things and the man was feeling lonely so the raven had a solution. The raven then made a woman out of clay for the man to keep him company and to be together forever.

Web Source: Flickr

 One common theme that was seen in most of the stories in this unit was a raven. I thought that this was very interesting and curious as to of why the raven was so prominent. I decided to go look up the symbolism of a raven. I thought that it must be a very important animal to the Alaskan culture since it was seen so much in the stories. Most of the information that I found was talking about how ravens symbolize ill things. I think that is interesting because it represents bad things but they spoke of it so much.

1 comment:

  1. From what I have read, ravens are sometimes portrayed as trickster characters in some Native American stories as well, although I believe the trickster role is primarily filled by Coyote or occasionally Rabbit most of the time. It's interesting to me how certain animals are ascribed such detailed characteristics, which sometimes vary from culture to culture. The owl is considered a creature of ill omen in many Native American cultures, and I've always wondered why, since in Western culture I believe they are normally associated with wisdom (this might be a modern thing though). Cultural conceptions of animals is certainly an interesting topic to consider in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete