Thursday, October 2, 2014

Essay Week 7: Assess the Unit

Assess the reading unit:

This week I decided to pick the reading unit Stories From Congo. Unfortunately due to this being a very busy week I was only able to read half of the overall unit. I decided to read the second half of the reading. I think that the overall way these stories were written and the language that was used was useful to the unit’s success. I really overall enjoyed the stories that I read, many of which included animals. This was a unit that was interesting to me because I have never read any pieces that are from the ‘Congo’. I think it is so important to read stories from other cultures in order to broaden our knowledge.

Source: Flickr


One of the most interesting stories I read in this unit was The Turtle and Man. The main messages that I took from this story was to always be true to your word. I think that when you say you will do something it is very important to always go through with that.

I think that a common theme that can be seen in this overall unit it that most of the stories portray some kind of moral message. It is very useful to preach these messages through the use of animals because they catch people’s attention.

I had a fun time retelling the story The Leopard and the Crocodile. I was able to retell it through a different voice. I did decide to keep most of the main elements the same but change the ending outcome.


I had a lot of fun with this unit and I think that I was able to read several stories that were different than anything I have ever read before! Because I enjoyed the second half of this unit so much I think I will go back and read the first half just for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment